Saturday, February 6, 2016



This week students are continuing to study and research an emerging trend in education.  The flipped learning experience is very intriguing.  Schools with a history of underperforming have shown improved levels of success with the implementation of the flipped learning platform.  Students watch teacher created video at home.  This cognitively low level skill does not require teacher assistance.  Students can also stop, start and restart the lessons according to there own processing ability and speed.  Once students have watched the video at home they are ready to apply the knowledge learned in class the next day.
Pearson Education completed a case study in Detroit, Michigan, which demonstrated a significant increase in student academic performance when the flipped learning style was implemented school wide.  The statistical evidence collected in this particular study indicates that the flipped classroom model had a tremendously positive affect on academic success. 

According to Pearson Education, “Test scores, graduation rates, and college attendance have increased at CHS, student engagement has improved dramatically, and discipline problems have declined in both number and severity. In the freshman class in the first flipped learning semester, the pass rate increased to 67 percent in English language arts, 69 percent in math, 78 percent in science, and 81 percent in social studies, representing an increase of 9 to 19 percentage points across the subjects. Discipline referrals declined by 66 percent.”

During the first semester of my 2015 academic year, I personally used the flipped classroom format for one of my lessons.  During this lesson students were asked to watch a teacher created video at home and perform a group activity the next day.  I was amazed with the number of students who actually watched the video and entered the classroom the next day prepared to participate in the period long activity.  Through this process, I was able to increase the level of student engagement.  I am excited to explore this topic more and to also read what others think. 

Have you tried using the flipped learning approach in your classroom?  What are your personal experiences with this approach?

Reference

Pearson Education. (2013). Flipped Learning Model Dramatically Improves Course Pass Rate for At-Risk Students, Clintondale High School, Clinton Township, Michigan. Retrieved February 6th, 2016 from http://assets.pearsonschool.com/asset_mgr/current/201317/Clintondale_casestudy.pdf



6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have used flipped classroom when I taught at Del Tech as an adjunct. I loved that the students were able to watch my videos from anywhere. It gave them the opportunity to reinforce the material which was learned during class or learn on their own if they missed class. Good luck with it in our classes.
Tiffany Glover

Unknown said...

It seems to me that flipped classroom lends itself to math and science. I teach fourth grade reading and language arts. I struggle to come up with ways to flip my classroom. I did create a grammar video for one of my grad classes. I assigned it to my fourth graders and they were actually excited about homework. Any reading ideas?

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of flipped learning and have enjoyed learning more about it this semester. I am trying it with one of my classes now and it seems to be going well! Thanks for your post!

Unknown said...

Laura I totally agree with you that the flipped learning model works great in math and science class. It also can be a challenge to create a flipped learning experience for reading. My suggestion would be to create a preview of important background information that students should know before they begin reading a specific text. You might want to record a lesson based on who the author is and how the author's background influences the text. You could also use a record a vocabulary preview of important and or difficult words that students should know before starting the reading process. I hope these tips help and inspire you to continue creating video instruction. Thanks for the comments on my post and have a great Presidents' Day!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your helpful ideas!

Unknown said...

The idea of a flipped classroom can have a great impact for sure. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to incorporate some flipped classroom tasks with my Special Education students. They already have problems with understanding information. But when I ask them to go home and watch a video, they were able to produce ever possible excuse why they couldn't watch it. Some which were very valid, like they don't have internet or they don't have a working computer. So, I resorted to having them view it for "Morning Work" and then start my lesson accordingly. I still found myself having to review the materials with them because they couldn't grasp the topic. I am sure if students would see this type of presentation from a younger age, then there certainly could be some my benefits down the road.